APPS, DOGS, COLOUR AND E-BOOKS, by Enid Richemont


This week, I had a second picture book app - MORE - published by utales. It's a re-telling of the traditional story about a magic bowl which must be properly used, and the misfortunes of the greedy
person who steals it. I've set my story in India, with a hungry small boy, a beggar woman who turns into a goddess, and a fat and greedy maharajah (it occurs to me that one could do a similar re-telling using a contemporary setting and a greedy banker). Setting it in India is the excuse for using all those wonderful Indian colours and patterns, and my illustrator, Claudia Fehr-Levin, has really gone to town on these. If you'd like to take a look at a sample, you can find it here. 
Speaking of colour and all its delights, we went to the David Hockney exhibition yesterday, and I was gobsmacked - no, eye-smacked. The opening paintings didn't impress me so much (I've always preferred his drawings) but when we went further into the show and found ourselves drowning in his celebration of everything around him, it became sheer joy, marred only slightly by the crowd.

For any child who's ever passionately wanted a dog, THE DREAM DOG is now available as an e-book (cover illustration by Jennifer Eachus). It was first published by Walker Books, and then sold to Japan. I have the Japanese edition, with its spare and beautiful pencil illustrations, which I treasure. And coming very soon (to use a much-hated TV cliche), DRAGONCAT will be my first never-before-published book, so I'll be holding my breath.

Yesterday a copy of MsLexia came throuh my door. Years ago, I subscribed to it, and through sheer inertia have never cancelled - and it does have some interesting articles - BUT... I'm beginning to feel that if ever I see the word 'creative' attached to the word 'writing' again, I'll explode - BANG! ('Creative Plumbing', now, or, 'Creative Brick laying' - that might be stimulating.  I'll pass on, 'Creative Dentistry', although 'Creative Brain Surgery' might produce some interesting results). But why do so many squillions of people want to be seen as writers? It's not a fast route to riches or celebrity (let's forget J K Rowling for a moment) and for most professional writers, it's a demanding, isolating, and extremely underpaid (but when it goes well, totally wonderful) job.


Comments

CallyPhillips said…
I downloaded and read Dragoncat because the picture and title intrigued me and I really enjoyed it (even though I'm not the target market.. I don't even know anyone in the target market!) so I'll be doing the same with Dream Dog... and hoping the real dogs don't get jealous!
Linda Newbery said…
Enid, I do agree with you about "creative" writing! Why not just "writing"? "Creative writing" somehow makes people think that they must pull out words they wouldn't usually use, or assume an attitude of wistful reverie or wry observation. Those two words together will never pass my lips, unless in quotation marks.

Good luck with the new app, and with DRAGONCAT!
Enid Richemont said…
Cally - thanks for reading DRAGONCAT. Publishers kept saying 'it's too gentle' - is it? I wouldn't have thought so. And if you love dogs, you'll love The Dream Dog.

Linda - so glad we're in agreement over 'creative' (NB in quotation marks!)
Pippa Goodhart said…
'More' is an absolutely lovely e-book. Well done, Enid!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi